Let us show you how to check your work permit status. You don’t need to wait for them to email you, which could take some time, or visit the Department of Homeland Security office daily to find out if your work permit has been accepted.
It’s easy for you and them because of the website; folks don’t need to visit their office daily to confirm that their work permit has been authorized.
After you have applied in the United States, we will walk you through the procedure of checking your work visa status in this post.
Before demonstrating how to track it, we would also like to clarify a work permit.
What is Work Permit
Simply put, a work permit is a document that the US government issues to allow foreign nationals to work there. Another name for it is an EAD (Employment Authorization Document).
You do not need to be a permanent resident in order to apply for a work permit, but you must have a visa that enables you to do so. A work permit is also available to DACA recipients.
It costs between $410 and $495 to apply for a work visa, and it can take 2 to 7 months to get one. The price and timing may change depending on your justification for applying and where you live.
Some applicants are exempt from paying the application fee.
Recall that you must first obtain a work visa in order to receive a work permit. Some individuals have been encouraged to assume that a work visa and work permit are interchangeable terms.
YOU WILL ALSO LIKE: How to Renew Your Work Permit After expiration in US
Difference Between a Work Permit and a Work Visa
You can live and work in the United States if you obtain a work visa.
As long as you continue to work for that business, the employer will apply for the visa on your behalf.
However, you are limited to working for that business there. You won’t be able to work again if you depart until you have a new immigration status.
Documents granting authorization to work are not linked to a particular employer. You can work for any employer in the US after you have a work permit. If your immigration circumstances permits it, you may renew your work permit.
Working without Work Permit
Working in the US without a work permit or employment authorization card is exceedingly risky. The authorities may deport you if you work without authorization.
Additionally, they may refuse you entry for a period of three to 10 years, which will make it much more challenging for you to later gain temporary or permanent status.
For instance, the State Department will very probably reject your application for a student visa if you are in the country illegally, work on a visitor visa, and then try to apply for one.
YOU WILL ALSO LIKE: Everything You Need to Know About How to Get a Work Permit for a Minor in US
Best ways to track your work permit application to know the status
Work permits are documents that allow individuals to work in a specific country, usually for a limited period of time. If you have applied for a work permit, it is important to track your work permit status to know if it has been approved or if there are any issues that need to be addressed. Here are some ways you can track your work permit status:
- Check online: Many countries have online portals that allow individuals to check their work permit status. You will typically need to provide your application number and other personal information to access your application status.
- Contact the immigration office: You can contact the immigration office or agency responsible for processing your work permit application to inquire about the status of your application. They should be able to provide you with information about the progress of your application and any issues that may need to be addressed.
- Use a tracking service: There are a number of services that can help you track your work permit status. These services typically charge a fee for their services, but can provide you with regular updates about the progress of your application.
- Check your email and mail: The immigration office or agency responsible for processing your work permit application may send updates about the status of your application via email or mail. It is important to check your email and mail regularly to ensure you do not miss any critical updates.
- Monitor the status of your passport: If your work permit application is approved, it will typically be issued as a sticker or stamp in your passport. If you notice that your passport has been updated with a work permit, this is a good sign that your application has been approved.
YOU WILL ALSO LIKE: How to get a work permit in Canada
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you check if my work permit is approved?
Go to the status of your application and work permit. Type your birthdate, then your FIN or passport number (travel document number). You will be able to see the status of any recent six-month work pass applications you have submitted.
How do I follow up my work permit application?
Visit the case tracker at https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do on the USCIS website. Enter the complete receipt number, omitting any dashes. To check your status, click search. Check your copy of the application to find this number.
How can I get a work permit quickly?
Generally, you can ask Emma for expedited processing after receiving a receipt notice or call the USCIS Contact Center at 800-375-5283 (TTY 800-767-1833).
Being patient when tracking your work permit application is important, as the process can take some time. It is also important to follow all of the instructions provided by the immigration office or agency to ensure that your application is processed smoothly.