You can apply for your Canadian passport renewal as a citizen from any location in the world. If you are inside Canada, you can apply in person at any Passport Canada office or by mail. Depending on your situation and where you are in the world, you might be able to renew your Canadian passport via mail rather than going in person to the nearest consulate or embassy.
How to Renew your Canadian Passport
You must apply for a passport at the closest Canadian embassy or consulate if you are outside of Canada, if this is your first Canadian passport renewal, or if your prior passport has been lost or stolen.
To renew your Canadian passport, you will need to follow the steps outlined below:
YOU WILL ALSO LIKE: What are the Requirement to Become a Canadian Citizen
1. Determine if you are eligible to renew your passport.
To be eligible, you must meet the following criteria:
- Your current passport is still valid or has been expired for less than one year
- You were 16 years of age or over when your current passport was issued
- You were issued your current passport in your current name, or you have documentation to support a name change (e.g., a marriage certificate or legal name change document)
2. Gather the required documents.
You will need to provide the following documents for Canadian passport renewal.
- Your current passport (in good condition)
- Two passport photos that meet the Canadian government’s requirements (e.g., they must be taken within the past six months, show your entire face, and have a white background)
- Proof of Canadian citizenship (e.g., a birth certificate or certificate of citizenship)
- A completed passport application form. You can download this form from the Government of Canada’s website or request one by mail.
3. Choose a method for submitting your application.
YOU WILL ALSO LIKE: Step by Step guide on how to check your visa status in canada
You have several options for submitting your Canadian passport renewal application:
- By mail: You can mail your application and the required documents to the nearest passport office. Be sure to include a prepaid, self-addressed envelope for the return of your passport.
- In-person: You can also apply in person at a passport office, a Service Canada location, or a participating Canada Post outlet.
- Online: If you are eligible, you can apply for passport renewal online through the Government of Canada’s website.
4. Pay the fees.
Renewing your passport costs money, and the fees will depend on the type of passport you are applying for and the method you choose to submit your application. For example, as of 2021, the fee for a standard five-year passport renewal by mail is $190.
5. Wait for your passport to be processed.
The processing time for passport renewals varies, but it is typically between two and ten weeks. You can check the status of your application online or by calling the Government of Canada’s passport information line.
6. Receiving your renewed passport.
Once your passport has been processed, it will be mailed to you using the prepaid, self-addressed envelope you included with your application. If you apply in person or online, they will notify you when your passport is ready for pickup.
That’s it! With these steps, you can renew your Canadian passport successfully. It’s important to note that the process can vary depending on your individual circumstances, so it’s always a good idea to double-check the requirements for Canadian passport renewal and follow the instructions provided by the Government of Canada.
Consequences of not renewing your Canadian Passport
If you are a Canadian citizen and do not renew your passport before it expires, you may face several consequences. Here are some potential consequences of not renewing your Canadian passport:
If you try to travel with an expired passport, you may be denied entry to the country you are trying to visit. Some countries may not allow you to enter if your passport is within six months of expiring, so it is essential to renew your passport well in advance of any planned travel.
Delays in obtaining a new passport
If you need to apply for a new passport because yours has expired, you may face delays in obtaining a new one. This could cause disruptions to your travel plans and potentially result in additional costs.
Potential legal consequences
If you try to use an expired passport to enter a country, you may face legal consequences. This could include fines, imprisonment, or other penalties depending on the laws of the country you are attempting to enter.
Loss of personal identification
Your passport is a primary form of identification; without it, you may have difficulty proving your identity in certain situations. If you need to open a bank account, apply for a job, or engage in other activities that require proof of identity, this could be a problem.
Inability to apply for certain benefits or services
Sometimes, you may be required to present a valid passport to apply for certain benefits or services, such as a student loan or a government grant. If your passport has expired, you may be unable to access these benefits or services.
YOU WILL ALSO LIKE: How to Apply for Canadian Citizenship Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I renew Canadian passport online?
Send your application and money in (2 to 9 business days) You must demonstrate your necessity for the passport. Now, you may schedule an appointment online.
How much does it cost to renew a Canadian passport?
You must first consider the CAN$ 120 (USD 96.81) passport fee levied by the Canadian government.
How long is it taking to renew a Canadian passport?
In 20 business days, plus mailing time.
How much is a 10-year Canadian passport renewal?
$120 (5-year adult passport) (5-year adult passport) $160 (10-year adult passport) (10-year adult passport) $57 for a child’s passport; any further costs (such as fees to replace a lost or stolen passport)
In summary, it is important to renew your Canadian passport before it expires in order to avoid these potential consequences. Suppose you are unable to renew your passport in time. In that case, you should contact the Passport Office as soon as possible to see if any options are available for Canadian passport renewal.